In 1917, construction began on what would become the second largest private residence ever built in America. The estate served as a summer home for Otto Kahn, his wife Addie, and their four children. When Otto died, the estate passed hands several times, serving as retreat for sanitation workers and a training facility for Merchant Marines. After falling into disrepair, OHEKA was purchased by developer Gary Melius in 1984. His vision was to breathe new life into OHEKA—and that’s exactly what he did.